Covington History – Covington locations in New York State
Covington History – Covington Township in Wyoming County NY
Official Geographical Location:
42.83976 North, 78.01159 West
Zip codes: 14525, 14591,
Population in 1990: 1,266 , Number of dwellings: 447
, Number of dwellings: 447
Land area: 67.691 sq. kms. Elevation: 1107
Elevation: 1107 feet
Situated in Wyoming County,
New York, Covington features the Oatka Creek's emergence from a tightly
defined valley to a broad plain bordered by gentle uplands. The town's
picturesque rolling hills fall off toward the Genesee Valley to the east and
the Oatka Valley to the west. This naturally attractive area was named for
General Leonard Covington and was permanently settled in 1806
Covington was officially created as a town on January 31, 1817 from the Towns of Perry and Leroy (Genesee County). However, part of the town formed in 1817 was annexed to the Town of York (Livingston County) in 1823.
Covington was another of Wyoming County's "early bloomers," achieving a peak population within one generation of settlement and declining to a low of only twenty-percent of its early high by the Depression a century later.
The Town of Covington in years past was recognized by small hamlets and locations such as:
Over the years, theses hamlets have lost their identities. The Town of Covington today is a blended community without the distinction of hamlets
WALKERS-JEFFRES — ca. 1860 — 510 Wyoming Rd
This elaborately executed Italianate home is among the county's best examples. The interior and exterior have changed little since initial construction. The barns associated with the property display the simple gable favoured in earlier barns, and the gambrel roof popular later in the nineteenth century.
Today, the Town is comprised of a total of 16,224.78 acres, or 26.13 square miles, with the Oatka Creek flowing through the Wyoming Valley in the Town.
The Town is mainly a residential and agricultural community with a strong rural character anchored by the agricultural businesses located throughout the Town.
Some commercial and industrial activity has increased along the Route 63 corridor which is an appropriate location due to the traffic on this major route. Since the passage of NAFTA,tractor-trailers moving goods between Canada and New York City and points south has dramatically and significantly increased traffic on this route.
The New York State Department of transportation began a study in 2001 investigating increased truck traffic within the Route 63 corridor through Genesee, Livingston and Wyoming counties. The study focuses on travel in the vicinity of Route 63 between the I-90 New York Thruway Exit 48A in Pembroke and I-390 Exit 7 in Mount Morris, Livingston County.
Revitalization efforts should take advantage of opportunities presented by having three major routes traversing the Town of Covington, Route 19, Route 246 and Route 63.
CROSSMAN BRIDGE — 1879 — Crossman Road
Thrusting its 124-foot span across the Oatka Creek, this Pratt truss bridge cost $1650 when new. Despite its quaint appearance now, it was a large factory-made prefabricated piece of new engineering.
The Town would like to concentrate commercial and industrial economic development efforts in the vicinity of the Route 63 corridor due to the traffic on this major route.
Small commercial growth would be appropriate in the area of Route 19, while residential development should be directed along the Route 246 corridor where there is potential of municipal water.
Any development in these areas should be guided in the manner that will improved upon the established community character with the continued support of agricultural uses.
BROOKS — 1814,1914 — Pavilion-Warsaw Rd
From its earliest beginnings as a simple Federal structure, the house was periodically added to and improved. In 1914, the noted Rochester architect Claude Bragdon was engaged to design plans for the remodelling in keeping with its original simple design. Much of the furniture was designed and built by traveling craftsmen, and the original bell used to call the farmhands to meals is still in place. Five generations of the Brooks family resided here and figured prominently in the development of the Covington and surrounding areas. Benedict Brooks, the pioneer settler, was a founder of the Middlebury Academy, served as a judge, and in 1821 served as a state legislator. His son, Hugh, helped many immigrants to settle in this area during the potato famine in Ireland in the 1840's by finding residences and work for them. As an avid abolitionist, his home became an Underground Railroad station known as the "Covington Route."
The 19th century anti-slave movement had a strong presence in Wyoming County with the sowing of seeds for the abolitionist movement. It was in 1839 that “America’s first anti-slavery political party was organized in Wyoming County at the Warsaw Presbyterian Church” (Wyoming County Tourist Promotion Agency). This political party, the Liberty Party, called for the abolition of slavery in the United States.
With this increase in support of abolition within the county, participation in the Underground Railroad grew to record numbers making Wyoming County the second largest with conductors or stationmasters in the state and Monroe County being the first.
With the passing of the Fugitive Slave Act in 1850 it became illegal to help or harbor escaping slaves. As a result of this, elements of the Underground Railroad were shrouded in secrecy, making it difficult to trace those involved in railroad activities.
Many of the fugitives that were escaping slavery would hide in boxes in wagons, trapdoors in floors, false walls and tunnels in homes and barns. The Underground Railroad directed the escaping slaves to follow waterways, where they could hide easily and the water would hide their scent from the hunting dogs.
Covington played a key role in the Underground Railroad and was the link between Wyoming and Genesee County known as the “Covington Connection”. The Covington Connection ran from Pennsylvania into New York State, through Friendship north to Covington and Pavilion Center and to the east side of Oatka Creek toward LeRoy to where conductor Donald McDonald lived.
A key station home on the Covington Connection was the home of Hugh Brooks at “Brooksholm” in Pearl Creek. Hugh Brooks was the son of Benedict Brooks who was the founder of the Middlebury Academy and served as a judge and a state legislator.
His son Hugh was a dedicated abolitionist and his home was a stop on the Underground Railroad. Other homes in the town were recruited to serve as stops on the railroad but as history has noted, many of these stops remained shrouded in mystery. Much of this was because of the danger associated legally with the harboring of fugitive slaves. Many of these buildings involved in the railroad are gone but evidence of involvement remains in documents detailing the role that Wyoming County played in helping fugitive slaves escape to freedom.
Covington, New York (NY 14525) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders (city-data.com)
Links to other websites:
Covington History – Fort Covington Village in Franklin County NY
Official Geographical Location:
44.94856 North, 74.49168 West
Zip codes: 12916, 12937,
Population in 1990: 1,676 , Number of dwellings: 651
, Number of dwellings: 651
Land area: 95.196 sq. kms.
A small village in Franklin
County, on Salmon River, 72 miles North West by West of Burlington, Vermont.
Close to Canadian border. Near St Lawrence Seaway, North of Westville Center,
East of Hogansburg and the Saint Regis Indian
Fort Covington (1813-1832):
Named after Brigadier General Leonard Covington (1788-1813), a Marylander killed at the Battle of Chrystler's Field, Upper Canada, on November 11, 1813, this substantial brick and earth fortification was designed in a wedge-shape with walls 10' high and 185' long.
The fort had a powder house, barracks, guardhouse, and a platform mounting ten 18-pdr. naval guns. Begun in 1813 and completed in the Spring of 1814, this battery was normally manned by the U.S. Sea Fencibles.
During the battle, it was commanded by Lt. Henry Newcomb, whose 80 seamen from the USS Guerriere successfully repulsed a flanking manoeuvre by British longboats. Dismantled in 1832, the fort's bricks were used in Fort McHenry's seawall.
No marker identifies the site
today; however, the new Baltimore Sun plant occupies the general area of
the fort. Fort Covington can be seen in the far right of A. J. Miller's
panorama painting in the Visitor Center.
"Fort Covington Namesake Died Leading Troops"
- article by Erik M Zissu - Times Staff Writer
A British sharpshooter
levelled his weapon and shortened the life of Brigadier General Leonard
Covington 176 years ago.
"He fell where he always
fought, at the head of his men, and survived but two days," according to a
serialization of a work by historian Leonard Jamison.
General Covington was killed
while on horseback leading his brigade in what has come to be known as the
Battle of Chrysler's Field, which was fought in nearby Upper Canada Village on
Nov. 11,1813. The anniversary of that battle this year coincided with Veterans
Fort Covington, previously
named French Mills, was named after the general who was brought to the shores
of the Franklin County town where he died. But the body of General Covington
was taken to Sackets Harbor in Jefferson County,
along with the bodies of his aides who had also fallen during combat, on a
barge in 1821.
Historian Robert J. Brennan
who says he has the most complete records of military cemeteries in Sackets Harbor, had said it is uncertain
whether the grave of the Maryland-born general will ever be located. But he had
been trying to interest a newspaper in Covington, Kentucky, in starting a drive
to place a marker at Sackets Harbor commemorating the
General and his courageous leadership.
Despite this project, the acts
of General Covington have been revived somewhat by the placement of historical
markers around Fort Covington in recent years.
And in 1987, the Fort
Covington Sun published 29 excerpts from Mr. Jamison's work about the little-known
general Fort Covington Town Historian Jacqueline Harvey supplied several pieces
of this historical writing that illuminates the general's last days and his
Through the fall of 1813, the
American Army was battling the British and their fleet, a Canadian militia and
various Indian bands. General Covington participated in several of these
conflicts that raged on both present-day U.S. soil as well as on the Canadian
side of the St. Lawrence River.
On Nov.10, 11 days after the
general's 45th birthday, a contingent of soldiers and an accompanying flotilla
moved down the river near Upper Canada Village. That night, the soldiers were
forced to lie on their weapons to keep them dry from a heavy rain. Voicing
apprehension about the ferocity of the engagements up to that point, the
soldiers forced General Covington to address them regarding their duties.
"We have no choice but to
onward because without independence and liberty, there would be no
choice," the general is supposed to have said.
Whether these words had a
calming effect on the soldiers, the brigade was up in the morning and continued
to march along the St. Lawrence River toward Chrysler's Field. The British also
advanced as the opposing sides reached the field. General Covington was not
required to participate in the battle, but did so to aid the American approach.
As he rode with his men into
the fight, General Covington moved toward the British artillery. After pushing
them back from the left side of the attack, he attracted the attention of a
group of sharpshooters who were holed up in a house on the field.
"At this critical moment,
while bravely leading his men, he was shot through the body. His fall disconcerted
the brigade and a shower of grape shot at that moment scourged it
severely," one account of the battle reads.
From the battlefield, the
General was brought across the river and up the Big Salmon River to a house in
French Mills Three days later, he died and was buried, only to be later taken
to Sackets Harbor where the regiment was stationed.
Until 2001, the location of the general's grave, as well as that of Gen. Zebulon Montgomery Pike, who were the only generals to die during the War of 1812, was not known, but it has now been found, but not yet marked at Mount Covington cemetery at Sackets Harbor, NY. Info sent by Gary O'Dell of Sackets Harbor, 2006 states "Efforts to have markers for these 1812ers are in process. The condition of his burial site is a National disgrace."
Links to other websites:
Click on the globe to return to the Covington Locations page